Signs came Friday suggesting that Kentucky’s attempt to gain eligibility for freshman big man Enes Kanter may be nearing a conclusion.
When asked Friday about a decision on Kanter’s eligibility, UK Coach John Calipari said, “It should be soon.”
NCAA spokesman Chuck Wynne echoed that sentiment with a statement that read:
“As of today, the case is still under review. Both the University of Kentucky and the NCAA are working towards a resolution and are aware of the need to bring this case to a speedy conclusion for the benefit of the student-athlete and the institution.”
Earlier this year, the NCAA declared Kanter permanently ineigibility because he played three seasons for a professional team in his native Turkey. UK and the NCAA agreed that Kanter and his family received $33,033 in excess of the permitted “actual and necessary expenses” that a player can get in compensation.
UK appealed that ruling. Before a judgment was announced on the appeal, UK said it had “new information” and asked that the Kanter case be re-examined.
The “new information” came in the aftermath of a surprising NCAA ruling that said Cam Newton could continue playing college basketball even though the father of the Auburn quarterback had acknowledged seeking money for his son’s services.
In re-seeking Kanter’s eligibility, UK presumably argued that he did not know of the excessive income received from the Turkish team. The team, Fenerbahce Ulker, shared the housing and banking records with the NCAA that substantiated the compensation he received.