December 21, 2010


It's been 18 days since Kentucky requested the opportunity to re-submit Enes Kanter's eligibility case to the NCAA, but the Turkish forward's future still remains in limbo.

As of press time there had been no ruling on the case after UK presented what it termed 'new information', leaving the 6-foot-10 freshman still only able to practice with the team but not play. Kanter was ruled permanently ineligible on Nov. 11 and during the appeals process the school requested to re-submit the case on Dec. 3. While everyone continues to wait - Calipari said on Dec. 17 he expected to hear something "soon " - the coach mentioned on his radio show Monday night the Kanter family could pursue other avenues if his case is rejected once again.

When asked to clarify his remarks Calipari feigned ignorance to having suggested legal recourse.

"What did I say? Because I say a lot of things that I don't remember," Calipari asked a reporter. "What did I say? Did I say sue? That's a strong statement."

Calipari said he has no idea what the Kanters will ultimately do once a decision is handed down, but that it would be up to them and he would remain out of those choices.

"The decision for his family, if this thing says he can't ever play college basketball, they have their own counsel and would make their own decision," Calipari said. "Obviously that's on option for them, to get an injunction to say, 'Hey, this isn't fair.'

"Whether they'd do it or not or it would ever get there, I don't know. There are a lot of things I throw out there for food for thought. I like to encourage people to think."

Matt May

No comments:

Post a Comment