December 22, 2010

Kanter’s father says his son would play for UK next season

The father of Kentucky freshman Enes Kanter told The Sporting News that if the NCAA lessened its penalty for a one-season suspension, his son would return to play for Kentucky next season.
In an exchange of e-mails posted on Wednesday, Mehmet Kanter said that he had never discussed with his son the option of entering the 2011 NBA Draft.
Earlier this year, the NCAA ruled Kanter permanently ineligible because he played three seasons for a professional team in his native Turkey. UK is appealing that ruling.
“Enes would do anything to play and help UK, his teammates and fans,” the elder Kanter wrote. “In the last two years, one thing me and Enes never discussed was him being pro. He didn’t mention to me about NBA or draft and I guarantee you as a father – if that’s the NCAA’s decision Enes will be a sophomore next year in UK.”
The Sporting News noted that Mississippi State’s Renardo Sidney recently returned from what amounted to a suspension of one year plus nine games over amateurism issues.
Kanter is widely projected as a lottery pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. The website Draftexpress projects him as the fifth player chosen, while has him as the eighth player taken.
Jerry Tipton

No comments:

Post a Comment